Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration in Windows 10
Every computer user has an IP (Internet Protocol) address to connect to the Internet. An IP aids a user’s Personal computer to identify itself within a network. This IP address is trying to connect to the internet. It helps users to communicate with other devices on the Internet. When you get the error “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” your ethernet connection is not getting a valid IP address from the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. This network protocol enables servers to automatically assign an IP address to your computer or PC for a unique network.
How to Fix Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration
FIX :1 Users need to restart their Modem, Router, and Computer
Sometimes this issue can be fixed by just simply restarting the hardware device by Following the below steps on your computer:
- Click on the Windows icon button and the start menu will open on the left side.
- Go to the Power option and then click on the Restart option. This will automatically shut down your computer and after some seconds power will automatically come back.
- Log in back into your account and allow Windows 10 to load back up.
Afterward, restart your router or modem as well.
Next steps for router or modem device.
- The first step is to unplug the router or modem device and then leave it for more than 5 minutes. This is just to ensure that it is a proper restart.
- After Plugging it back in and wait for the device to start. The LED lights show when the device is powered back on, and it will be ready for operation.
- Check the Ethernet valid IP configuration error has been fixed. Then check the ethernet cable you are using. If the ethernet cable is broken, go and buy a new one. Your issue will be solved.
Fix 2: Disable the Fast Startup feature in window 10
In Windows 10 this feature comes by default in computers and grants faster recovery from hibernation or shutdown. That means your computer will boot up faster. Follow these steps to turn off the fast startup feature:
- Go to your search bar at the bottom left and type in “control panel”. Users can also bring up the search feature by pressing the Windows + S keyboard shortcut. Click on the Control Panel app and launch it.
- Click on the power options. In some cases, users may not be seeing power options due to view mode by just changing view mode to small all the options will appear.
- After clicking on the Chosen power button, the power buttons do link on the left side of the window.
- Click on the currently unavailable link by clicking on Change settings. This may require you to enter a password.
- Uncheck the box Turn on the fast startup option under Shutdown settings to turn the feature off and click on Save changes. This will disable the Fast Startup feature and solve issues with your Ethernet connection.
- After clicking on the Save changes button and then restart your computer. After restarting, check if your problem will be solved.
Fix 3. Configure your network adapter settings:
Your router automatically designs to connect each device to it. An IP address is by default, though you can configure this setting to only assign one fixed IP address. It’s recommended to all the users who are working on this error. Try this whether it works for you to fix the Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration error.
The following are steps for configuring the network adapter settings:
- Press the Windows key + R and the Run feature will appear. Enter NCPA.CPL and click on OK. After that, it will open the Network Connections window.
- Choose properties by Right-clicking on the Ethernet adapter settings.
- In the Ethernet Properties dialog box after that look for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or the latest version and double-click on it.
This will pop up the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties. You will need to permit the following options:
- Obtain an IP address automatically.
- Obtain DNS server address automatically
After all steps, if this does not fix the trouble. You can set your IP address and DNS physically. To do that, follow these steps:
Go to the following previous steps on the Internet Protocol Version, 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties. Choose and edit the options below. Use the IP address below and fill in the details with these numbers.
- IP address: 192.168.1.15
- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default gateway 192.168.1.1
Next, the user needs to use the following DNS server addresses and fill in the details with these numbers:
- Preferred DNS Server: 22.214.171.124
- Alternate DNS Server: 126.96.36.199
When you are done with all the steps, click on OK to save the changes.
Fix 4. Reset TCP/IP:
These steps require using Command Prompt and using the NETSH Command. Let’s look at how users can fix this.
- On the search type in Command Prompt.
- Click on Run as Administrator to open Elevated Command Prompt and launch it. Once it asks you for permission. Click on OK.
- If prompted by the User Account Control. Click Yes to allow the application to make changes to your gadget. This is a necessary step to launch the software on your pc.
- On the Elevated Command Prompt type in the following commands. I have mentioned:
- When the user runs the first command. the user will get a message asking to restart the computer. After that, you can ignore it and run the second Command.
- 6. When both commands have successfully been installed, restart the device and check. Your Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error will be fixed.
Fix 5. Clear the network cache:
This step involves using the IP config command in Elevated Command Prompt. This command shows the current configuration of the installed IP address stack.
- Users need to press the Windows key + S to bring up the search bar. After that click on Run as Administrator to open Elevated Command Prompt. Click on OK.
- the following commands On Elevated Command Prompt:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
- After entering the commands, restart your computer and see.
Check your error has been fixed.
These steps will fix your ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration.
More About Ethernet
Ethernet vs Wi-Fi: Benefits:
Nowadays, Wi-Fi is the most common type of network connection. whereas Ethernet has been since the 1970s. Ethernet requires wired connection. However, Wi-Fi does not require any cable to get connected. I have shared some vital benefits of Ethernet over Wi-Fi connections.
Flexibility and Security:
You might be dealing with wires, you’ve got the flexibility to transfer data up to 100 meters, that’s 328 feet from your modem or router with Ethernet cables wires. Since most of the routers already feature Ethernet ports, it doesn’t take much to make the switch at home or even to hard-wire your game console or desktop gaming while your phone and tablet are connected to your Wi-Fi network.
For more business-orientation. The control and security performed by Ethernet are hard to beat. With a physical network, you keep control of who’s connected to your local network at any given time. This frees up data for your users and helps to avoid unwanted (Harmful and costly) security breaches.
Connecting to a wired LAN is more costly and time-consuming than a Wireless Local Area Network. It has certain perks. First, Wi-Fi signals are transmitted through radio frequencies. Like sometimes you’ve passed through a subway while listening to your car radio because the radio waves are prone to interference and same as Wi-Fi. On the other hand, wired Ethernet networks are not limited to interference.
Without interference, your Internet is less likely to struggle with any slowdowns or disconnections. However, when you’re transferring massive data media files to other devices. Similarly, your own walls won’t cause issues for Ethernet, and because each device is hardwired, you don’t have to divide your bandwidth between your laptop and PS4.