In order to connect all of your Apple devices, you can use Apple ID. Now, to avoid everyone being able to connect to your device, Apple made sure to secure your Apple ID account by adding a password. Each time you want to sync a new device or log in to any of the Apple apps, you’ll be prompted to enter your Apple ID username and password.
Now, if you’re using the same password for a long time, it can happen that it’s compromised. There is no device that is completely secure and safe. To protect your personal information and everything stored on the device itself, you can always change the Apple ID password.
It’s an easy task and there are several ways to do so. Let’s go through them so you can increase your safety and make sure nobody can access any of your Apple devices.
Changing password on your Mac, iPad, iPod, and iPhone with iOS 10.3 and newer
If you have a device with installed iOS 10.3 and newer, follow these steps to change your Apple ID password via a web browser.
- Open the “Settings” app
- Tap on your name
- Choose “Password & Security”
- Click on “Change password”
- Enter your devices passcode
- Enter the new password you want to set
- Click on “Change password”
- Sign in to your Apple ID again using your new password.
That would be it. After you’ve successfully logged in with your new Apple ID, your password will be changed and every next time you are logging in to your Apple ID, you’ll be using the new password.
Changing Apple ID password on MacBook with Catalina MacOS
If you have a MacBook with installed Catalina macOS, you can change the password in few easy steps. Here is how.
- Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner and choose “System Preferences”
- Click on Apple ID
- Select “Security and Privacy”
- Tap on “Change password”
- You’ll be prompted to enter the password you are currently using to enter MacBook
- Type the new password twice and click on “Change”
Note: If you have a Mojave or any earlier version of OS, the steps are a little bit different. After entering “System Preferences”, you’ll need to choose iCloud > “Account details”. From there, you can change the password the same way.
How to change Apple ID password using your web browser
If necessary, you can change your Apple ID password using your web browser as well. Follow the steps below.
- Open the Apple ID page on your browser
- Sign it with your username and password
- Select “Change password”
- You’ll be prompted to enter your current password and a new password
- Confirm the change by clicking on “Change password”.
That’s another easy way to change your Apple ID password.
Now, the question is how to change your Apple ID password if you forgot the current password. All the ways I’ve listed above presume that you know the current password and you can log in to your Apple ID. But what happens if that’s not the case? How to change your Apple ID password without a current password? That’s a little bit harder, but not impossible. You will need to reset your device, completely erase your Apple ID account, and then set up a new one. Let’s go through several handy ways on how to do it.
How to reset Apple ID?
In case you do not know the current password for your Apple ID, you can try to reset your Apple ID in several ways, depending on the device you’re using. Let’s go through all the devices and explore your options.
How to reset your Apple ID password on your iPhone or iPad?
In case your device is signed in to Cloud, that would be amazing. Follow these simple steps to reset your Apple ID using your Cloud.
- Open the “Settings” app
- Select your name
- Click on “Password & Security” > “Change password”
- You’ll be prompted to enter the passcode for your iCloud
- Follow the steps on the screen to change your password – enter the new password twice and confirm.
If, however, your device is not signed in to iCloud, you will need to choose a different way to reset your Apple ID. One of the ways can be to use Apple support. You can download the Apple support app on any device of your friend or family members as long as it has iOS 12 and newer.
- Download Apple support app
- Choose “Topics” > “Password & Security”
- Tap on “Reset Apple ID password”
- Tap “Get Started” > “Different Apple ID”
- Enter Apple ID which you want to reset
- Tap “Next” and follow all the instructions until you get the confirmation that the password has been reset
How to reset your iPhone’s Apple ID password using the “Find My iPhone” app?
This is another option you can try. If you have enabled the “Find My” feature, you can try to reset your Apple ID password through “Find My iPhone” even if you do not know the current password.
- Open the “Find My” app
- Enter your Apple ID username
- Tap “Forgot Apple ID or password”
- Follow the steps until your password is successfully recovered.
Again, the question is what to do if you do not know the Apple ID username as well. How to completely reset your Apple ID.
Before resetting, you can try to find your Apple ID since it’s saved on iCloud and every app you’ve ever downloaded using your Apple ID. Here are the ways to find your Apple ID.
Find Apple ID on iPad, iPod, and iPhone
You can find your Apple ID in your iCloud or Media & Purchases settings.
If you’re looking in iCloud, tap “Settings” and then your name. You should see your Apple ID here. In case you need to use Media & Settings, tap on “Settings” > your name > “Media & Purchases”.
Just in case, you can try to look for your Apple ID in “Passwords & Accounts”, “Messages” and “FaceTime”.
Find Apple ID on your MacBook
Here are a couple of steps to find your Apple ID on your MacBook device.
- Open the Apple menu in the top left corner
- Choose “System Preferences”
- Tap on Apple ID or “Internet Accounts” > “iCloud”
You can look for your Apple ID also in the “Messages”, “App Store”, and “FaceTime”.
More information can be found here
How to reset iPhone without Apple ID password?
Now, if you cannot get access to your Apple ID username and password, or simply want to reset your iPhone and you do not know the current Apple ID password, here is how you can do it.
You can try to use a third-party app such as iMyPhone LockWipper. The app itself has a couple of features including removing Apple ID completely, removing passcode in case you forgot it, or resetting your device without an Apple ID.
- Install the app on your PC or MacBook
- Choose “Unlock Apple ID”
- Connect your iPhone to computer
- Click the “Start to unlock” button
- If the “Find My iPhone” option is disabled, the app will automatically erase your Apple ID
- If FMI is switched on, you’ll need to reset your settings: “Settings” > “General” > “Reset All Settings”
- Once the process is complete, the iCloud won’t be on your device anymore. Now you can reset your iPhone easily.
There is another option, you can try to reset your iPhone using iTunes. In case you do not have your Apple ID password, this is something you can try. Open iTunes on your desktop and let’s start.
- Connect your iPhone to a computer using a USB cable
- Provide passcode if necessary
- Select the device when it appears on the iTunes bar
- Select “Restore iPhone”
- Confirm by clicking “Restore” once again
- When the process is finished, your iPhone will restart and that’s it! It has been reset.
Now you are ready to set up the new Apple ID and a new password. Make sure this time to remember it!
You can also try to erase your iPhone via the phone’s “Settings” app. This will erase all the content and return your phone to factory reset. Make sure to have a recent backup so you can save your data.
- Open the “Settings” app
- Choose “Reset” > “Erase All Content and Settings”
- Enter your passcode
- Click “Erase iPhone”
Note: This method will work only if you have a passcode and if FMI is disabled. If not, since the phone is in Apple’s database, once everything is erased, it will simply sync again with the same Apple ID as before. In case you have any other suggestions on how to change your Apple ID password or what to do in case you do not have access to your Apple ID account, please let us know in the comments below.