Wondering How you can Change DHCP Lease Time?
You don’t have to look any further because I am going to share the best ways to change DHCP Lease Time. But first, let me tell you something about DHCP lease time. For instance, this is not a common term and many people do not know about it.
What Is DHCP Lease Time?
Have you heard about IP addresses? The thing is, your computer gets assigned an IP address to lease by the internet service provider for a particular period. Once the time is over, your PC has a choice to decide if it wants to renew or get a new IP address from the DHCP server. By default, DHCP Lease Time is about 1440 minutes or 24 hours, and therefore, this is specific period is called DHCP lease time.
Now, you are here because you want to know How to Change DHCP Lease Time in Windows 10.
Keep on reading to find the solution…
How to Check the DHCP Lease Time Windows 10?
If you want to check the DHCP lease time in Windows 10, simply follow the steps below:
- First, you need to open Command Prompt.
- Now, write the command ipconfig /all in the command line window and press enter to continue.
- Here you can check the Lease Obtained and Lease Expired.
Isn’t it very easy to check DHCP lease time?
So, further, you are going to explore the 2 best ways that can help you change the lease time of the DHCP server.
How to change DHCP lease time Windows 10 via router?
Follow the steps below to change DHCP server lease time via router:
- Go to the browser on your computer and enter the address of your router. Generally, the address would be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.
- Now, enter your User Id and Password.
- Go to the router settings > configuration page> find LAN.
- Do you see the DHCP server module? There you will find the DHCP leased time that is set for 24 hours by default.
- Change the DHCP lease time according to your choice and click save.
- Once you are done with the above steps, reboot your computer.
How to Change DHCP Lease Time via DHCP Server?
The second way to change DHCP lease time in Windows 10 is via its server. But in order to do this way, you must have a dedicated DHCP server that can automatically assign IP addresses and other default network parameters.
Follow the steps below to change DHCP server lease time:
- Open Run dialogue and type dhcpmgmt.msc.
- Click OK and continue to open the DHCP scope properties.
- Click on the general tab under the lease duration. This will open the DHCP clients section.
- In the limited field, fill anew lease time.
- Click OK to proceed and reboot your computer. Finally, check the DHCP server lease time changed or not.
In this article, I have shared the two best ways that can help you change the DHCP lease time forever. I have explained how to change DHCP lease time in windows 10 via router and DHCP server. But if you have any other ideas, please share them with me in the comment box. Your methods will reach thousands of readers.
Stay connected for more technical hacks!