In this article, I will share with you a few different methods to Fix Err_Ssl_Version_Or_Cipher_Mismatchalso. I will share with you why this occurs on websites. But before that, I will tell you a little information about this error and why this error comes while using the web Brower.
What Is ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH?
The err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch is a common error when the user tries to access a website browser. The error gives the notification of a problem with the SSL certificate. Every website uses SSL certificates to show, its website is secure. The website browser automatically checks this certificate whenever the user tries to approach or connect to the website. This way proves that the website user using is genuine and has implemented the correct ways to prevent the connections.
Transport layer security works between the user’s computer or gadgets and a web server which is known as a TLS handshake (transport layer security). Suppose the user’s browser and the web server fail to support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite during the TLS due to that web browser will automatically give the message of ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH.
What Causes The ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Error?
After the failure of a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite, the error message comes because this is the browser’s way of protecting the user’s computer or gadgets from accessing unsafe websites.
Moreover, a website may use an unsupported version of a protocol that has security weaknesses, that may be harmful to the user device or the information that goes to the website. There are a lot of other issues that cause failure to support a common SSL protocol and the user get an error message of ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH: –
- Invalid SSL certificates
- Old TLS versions
- Outdated web browsers or operating systems
- Web browser’s cache
- Antivirus program
One point to be noted is that the error only arises on websites that use SSL certificates and HTTPS encryption, To secure access and for data exchange. Websites that use these encryptions have a lock icon before the URL link on the top of the web page. The error may also show on websites that use the content delivery network and security add.
How To Fix Err_Ssl_Version_Or_Cipher_Mismatch?
Here, I’m going to share with you a few simple methods which will help you to fix this issue.
1. Check the SSL/TLS Certificate: –
- Press the Window button and R button both at the same time. After pressing, you will see the run feature on your bottom left side. In the open box write “INETCPL.CPL” Then click on the OK button.
Click on the content option, after that click on the clear the SSL state button and then apply.
- For the next step, go to the Advanced option, click on the settings and go down by clicking on the down button, and select use SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0. After selecting both clicks on the ok and apply button.
If doing this won’t fix the issue of err SSL certificate or cipher mismatch, then go to the next method.
2. Clear Your Web History/Cache:
When you visit any website, the Browser automatically creates the history and stores the data in the cache memory. This cache memory that includes text, images, or files helps the browser to load the website faster and smoother when you visit the next time. However, storing the old cache is bad for your devices. Specially, When the site is already made some changes to its system. If you won’t delete the cache for a long time this will cause an SSL error and security risks.
Follow these steps to delete the cache in the google browser:
- Click on the three vertical dots you see in the top right corner of google chrome, then select settings.
- Scrolling down you will find the privacy and security section, Click on the clear browsing data.
- After clicking on the clear browsing data. A new window will appear. Click on the Check Box the Cached images and files option and use the drop-down menu to select the time frame from where the user wants deletion and click the Clear data Button.
- After finishing these steps close the google browser and restart the browser.
3 Check the connections of LAN settings:
- Press the button Windows and R both at the same time. After pressing, you will see the run feature on your bottom left side. Click on the open box and write “INETCPL.CPL” Then click on the ok button.
- You will see internet properties as can see in the image below. Click on the connections and then click on the LAN settings option.
- After clicking on the Lan settings, the next window will pop up. Users need to check if the automatically detect setting option is blank or with the right tick. If the box is blank, then click on the box and click on ok, and save these settings.
If following these steps won’t fix the issue of err SSL certificate or cipher mismatch, then go to the next method which I’m going to share with you.
4. Check the security:
- Press the button Windows+R both at the same time. After pressing, you will see the run feature on your bottom left side. In the open box write “INETCPL.CPL” then click on the ok button. This will bring us to our next step.
- Go to the trusted site’s options after that click on the sites button.
After clicking on the sites button, the new window will pop up, add your site on the website to the zone and click on add button after adding, click on the ok and apply button.
These methods will fix the problem of ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH.