With every new console coming out, the main question is – could you play your favorite game on the latest version? Luckily, almost all the games for PS4 are available for PlayStation 5 as well. There is even better news, nearly all of your games can be upgraded for free to better graphics. These are so-called new-gen upgrades.
Now, you still have some games that cannot be upgraded, or even if you manage to upgrade the game, you won’t be able to transfer any saved data, meaning you will have to start from scratch.
However, every game that can be upgraded should come with better graphics, shortened loading time, and better resolution. You can upgrade games you have on the disc or in a digital version. You should know that you can play it only on PlayStation 5 Standard Edition if you have a game physically on the disc.
So, let’s see which games you can upgrade and how to do so.
How to upgrade PS4 game to PS5 from a disc
As aforementioned, if you have a disc, you can upgrade the game only on PS5 Standard Edition. Follow the steps below to understand how to do so.
- Sign in to your PlayStation 5 account
- Insert the disc for PS4 into the PS5 console
- Navigate to PlayStation Hub and find the game
- Choose “Free PlayStation Upgrade”
- Choose “Free,” left option next to the price
- Click “Accept” to confirm
- Download the game
Once downloading is finished, you’ve successfully upgraded your game. Now you can play on your PS5 without limitations of any kind.
How to upgrade digital game from PS4 to PS5
If you do not have a game physically, only in a digital version, you can still upgrade it for PS5. Here is how.
- Log in to your PlayStation 5 account
- Go to “PlayStation Store”
- Find the game you want to upgrade
- If you’ve purchased the PS4 version and the game is eligible for a PS5 upgrade, you will see in the top right corner button “Upgrade.” Click on it
- You’ll see a new page to download the game for PS5 and install it; do as prompted
Once the game is installed, you can enjoy playing.
How to get all the extras you’ve purchased with the PS4 version
If you’ve purchased the PS4 Premium version of a game, it came with certain extra features – book arts or soundtracks. Once you upgrade the game to the PS5 version, you can find the extras in the Game Library.
- Enter “Game Library” from the main screen
- Select the game title and press X to enter the menu
- Choose “…” button
- You will see available extras, select the desired feature
- You’ll be transferred to another page where you can launch this add-on
That’s about it. Now you have a Premium version of a PS5 game as well, and you can enjoy all the extras you’ve purchased.
Which games are eligible for an upgrade from PS4 to PS5
Certain games require you to pay for an upgrade, while others require you to have a digital version in order to upgrade to the PS5 version. Here is a shortlist of games you can upgrade for free and without too much of a struggle.
|Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla|
|Dead by Daylight|
|Far Cry 6|
|Hitman 3 (digital version only)|
|Madden NFL 21|
|Marvel’s Spiderman: Miles Morales|
|Mortal Kombat 11|
|Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege|
|The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt|
Several other games can be upgraded with additional payment or through a digital version only. If you wish to check if your game is the one that can be upgraded, follow the steps above and check it directly on your PS5. For further information, you can also visit PlayStation’s website.
Here, you can find the most up-to-date information regarding all the games you are interested in.
Note that some games can be upgraded from PS4 to PS4 Pro as well, and from PS4 Pro to PS5. The whole point is to upgrade from full HD to 4K and from 30fps to 60fps. Once you upgrade, your gaming experience will change for sure.
Good luck upgrading, and enjoy the game!