How to fix Prototype 2 crashing at startup on Windows?
Prototype 2 is a popular open-world action video game developed by Radical Entertainment and published by Activision. Despite its popularity, some users have reported that the game crashes at startup on Windows. This can be a frustrating experience, but there are a few simple steps you can take to try to resolve the issue.
Here are five possible solutions to try if Prototype 2 is crashing at startup on Windows:
Update Your Graphics Card Drivers
Outdated or missing graphics card drivers can cause Prototype 2 to crash. If you’re experiencing this issue, the first step is to ensure that you have the latest drivers installed. You can typically find the latest drivers on the website of your graphics card manufacturer.
To check if your drivers are up to date, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Windows Start menu and select “Device Manager“
- Locate your graphics card under “Display adapters”
- Right-click on your graphics card and select “Properties“
- Select the “Driver” tab and click “Update Driver“
If your drivers are already up to date, you can try rolling back to an earlier version to see if this resolves the issue.
Verify the Game Files
If your game files are corrupted, this could be causing the crash. Steam, the platform that Prototype 2 is available on, has a built-in function for verifying the game files.
To verify the game files, follow these steps:
- Launch the Steam client
- Right-click on Prototype 2 in your Library
- Select “Properties”
- Go to the “Local Files” tab and click “Verify Integrity of Game Files”
Steam will then scan the game files and repair any that are corrupted.
Disable Background Applications
- Some background applications can interfere with the game and cause it to crash.
- Try closing these applications before starting Prototype
- Some common examples of applications that can cause issues include anti-virus programs, VPNs, and other software that runs in the background.
Reinstall the Game
If the above steps don’t work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the game. This can help to resolve any issues with the game files or configuration settings.
To uninstall Prototype 2, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Windows Start menu and select “Control Panel”
- Select “Programs and Features”
- Locate Prototype 2 and right-click on it
- Select “Uninstall” and follow the prompts
Once the game has been uninstalled, you can then reinstall it from Steam.
Also Read: How to fix Unarc.dll returned an error code& in Windows?
Try running Prototype 2 in compatibility mode for Windows 7 or Windows 8. This can help to resolve compatibility issues between the game and your operating system.
To run Prototype 2 in compatibility mode, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Prototype 2 executable file (usually located in the game’s installation folder)
- Select “Properties“
- Go to the “Compatibility” tab
- Check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option and select Windows 7 or Windows 8
- Click “Apply” and then “OK”
In conclusion, there are several steps you can try to fix Prototype 2 crashing at startup on Windows, including updating your graphics card drivers, verifying game files using the Steam client, disabling unnecessary background programs, disabling antivirus software temporarily, installing the latest DirectX and VC++ Redistributable, updating Windows to the latest version, and reinstalling Prototype 2. If these steps don’t solve the issue, consider reaching out to the game’s support team for further assistance. By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the issue and get back to playing Prototype 2 without any further crashes.
Q: How do I update my graphics card drivers?
You can update your graphics card drivers by visiting the website of your graphics card manufacturer and downloading the latest drivers for your specific model.
Q: How do I verify game files using the Steam client?
To verify game files using the Steam client, follow these steps:
- Open the Steam client.
- Right-click on Prototype 2 in your library and select “Properties.”
- Go to the “Local Files” tab.
- Click on “Verify Integrity of Game Files.”
- Wait for the process to complete.
Q: What should I do if the game still crashes after reinstalling it?
If the issue persists after reinstalling Prototype 2, consider reaching out to the game’s support team for further assistance.
Q: Can outdated DirectX or VC++ Redistributable cause Prototype 2 to crash?
Yes, Prototype 2 requires the latest version of DirectX and VC++ Redistributable to run smoothly. Outdated versions can cause the game to crash at startup.
Q: What should I do if disabling antivirus software doesn’t solve the issue?
If disabling antivirus software doesn’t fix the issue, consider adding Prototype 2 as an exception in your antivirus software settings. If the issue persists, reach out to the game’s support team for further assistance.