How to Fix Brightness Function Key Not Working in Windows?
Many computers have a key for changing the brightness of the screen, which makes it easier to use the computer in different lighting situations. When the key for adjusting the brightness doesn’t work, it can be frustrating for the person using the device.
This problem can make your eyes tired, give you headaches, and make it hard to work or use a computer in dim light, among other things. When the brightness function key stops working, users are more stressed and annoyed because they can’t adjust the brightness of their screen to a comfortable level.
Why We Can’t Change Brightness of Windows?
When you can’t change the brightness on your Windows 10 desktop or laptop, the problem could be caused by a number of different things. Software or hardware can cause these problems, so it’s important to figure out where the real problem is.
Many problems can be fixed at home, but if the problem is with the hardware, you may need to hire a pro or buy new parts. If the brightness on your laptop doesn’t work, it could be caused by a number of different things. Here are a few things that could be causing this to happen.
Something is Wrong With Your Screen
If you’ve dropped your laptop or it’s just getting old, it may be hard to change the brightness of the screen.
Your Software is Out of Date
This could make it hard to change the brightness if you haven’t updated Windows 10 or your graphics drivers in a while.
If you try to change the brightness of your laptop’s screen using the keyboard and it doesn’t work, the problem may be with the keyboard and not the screen.
Also Read: How to Fix Device Setup Manager Service (DsmSvc) to Use Less CPU?
How to Fix the Brightness Function Key Not Working in Windows?
This guide will show you a few ways to fix Windows so that the brightness function key works again. Do what’s written below, step by step.
Method 1: Go to Windows Settings and change the brightness of the screen.
You can change how bright the screen is in Windows 10 and 11 by going to Settings.
- Click Settings, then System, then Display.
- Use the Brightness slider to adjust the screen brightness.
Method 2: Use the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Look for the Command Prompt in the Search menu
- Choose “Run as Administrator“.
- Copy and paste the command below, then hit Enter
- To get the troubleshooter to work, follow the steps on the screen.
Method 3: Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter
- Right-click on the Start menu
- Start the app for Settings.
- Scroll down on the right side of the Settings app
- Find the Troubleshoot tab and click on it.
- Click on Steps to fix the problem.
- Windows 11 will show a list of all the tools it has to fix problems.
- Find the troubleshooter for the keyboard in the list.
- To start the Keyboard troubleshooter, click the Run button next to Keyboard.
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Choose Safety and Up-to-Date
- From the menu on the left, choose Troubleshoot.
- Click More steps to fix things
- Find and run the Keyboard Troubleshooter.
- Use the keyboard troubleshooter.
Also Read: How to fix Prototype 2 crashing at startup on Windows?
Method 4: Turn on the Microsoft Windows Generic PnP Monitor
If you can’t change the brightness of your Windows screen, make sure that the Generic Pnp Monitor is turned on. This is the problem that Lenovo and HP Pavilion computers have the most.
- Check that the Generic PnP Monitor is turned on in the Monitors section of Device Manager (devmgmt.msc).
- If it’s not on, right-click it to turn it on.
- Try to change the brightness of the screen after you restart your computer.
Method 5: Change the brightness of the screen with PowerShell
The following PowerShell command lets you change the brightness level of a display from the command prompt:
(Get-WmiObject -Namespace root/WMI -Class WmiMonitorBrightnessMethods). WmiSetBrightness(1,80)
Set the brightness as a percentage of the highest possible value, from 0 to 100.
Method 6: Make sure the Fn key is turned on.
Most keyboards require you to press the Function key and the brightness key at the same time to make the right changes. Make sure the Fn key is turned on before you try to use it to change the brightness settings.
You can try to lock the Fn key so you don’t have to keep hitting it every time you want to make these changes. On some keyboards, the Esc key can also be used to lock the Fn key. Most keyboards have a little padlock on the Esc key to show what it does.
When you press the Fn and Esc keys together, the Fn key is locked. If the lock icon lights up, that means the Fn key is locked. Keep pressing both keys together to get in.
Method 7: Delete the Update
Since the problem is usually caused by broken or corrupt updates, you can also delete the update until Microsoft releases an official fix. But if the problem was caused by a .Net update, you’ll have to wait it out because you can’t remove the update.
Here’s what you need to do to get rid of a system update:
- To open the Run command, press Win + R.
- Type control and click Open in Run.
- Click Uninstall a Program under Programs in the Control Panel box.
- Choose View updates that are already installed from the menu on the left.
- The system should show a list of all updates that have been installed. Right-click on the updates and choose “Uninstall”.
- Get rid of the wrong update.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to move forward, and then turn off and on your computer again.
- After you’re done, check to see if the problem has been fixed.
Method 8: Use the Brightness Slider
If the troubleshooting steps don’t fix the problem, you can temporarily change the brightness with the slider in the taskbar. Click the battery icon in the taskbar to get to the brightness control. Change the brightness, and then click anywhere on the taskbar to close the menu.
Method 9: Install Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
- Launch Device Manager.
- Expand the section on Display adapters
- Right-click the display driver and then click Update driver.
- Click “Explore My Computer” to find driver files
- Click Allow me to choose from a list of drivers on my PC.
- Choose Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
- To install the driver, click Next and then do what the screen says.
Method 10: Get rid of the latest Windows update
- Configuration can be started from the Start menu.
- Click Windows Update on the menu to the left.
- Choose History of Changes
- Scroll down to Uninstall updates under Settings that are related.
- Right-click the update and choose “Uninstall.”
Also Read: How Can You Disable Automatic Startup Of Spotify In Windows
The brightness function key might not work for a number of reasons, such as old or broken drivers, wrong settings, or hardware problems. Users can change the brightness of the display by updating or reinstalling the display driver, checking the brightness settings in the Windows Control Panel or Settings app, or using different keyboard commands.
In some cases, you may also need to replace the keyboard or other hardware parts. It’s important that your computer screen has the right amount of brightness when you’re using it. To watch a movie, play video games, work, or make art, you need a good monitor.
Do you use “Night Shift” or other features that change the brightness of your screen based on how bright the room is? All of these are affected by how bright your screen is. But many Windows users say that the brightness controls on their devices don’t work.
This could mean that the control is gone or that it won’t change the brightness of the screen at all. When you use a laptop, if you turn up the brightness, the battery will also drain faster. You can see why not being able to change the brightness would be bad.