How Do You Block a Website on a Computer and a Network Router
When you are working and a pop-up comes up to distract you. Which is a mail notification or a website notification. Which interrupt you while working or enjoying something passionately. Due to that distraction, you want to know how to block a website.
There are several reasons. You might don’t want to see that website content anymore. Or your computer gets a virus. Opening many websites may harm your pc from viruses.
For different several reasons, several different solutions are also here. And different systems too, as if you want to block a website only on a specific browser, or an entire operating system. Also at your network router. I have a solution for every one of them. Whatever you want to do.
Let us get into it.
How to Block a Website on a Computer
If you want to block a website on one machine (at one operating system). Then you have to block the operating system. This is a very effective method to block any website in a browser.
How to Block a Website on a Windows Computer
DNS system is a backbone of any operating system, which converts IP language into simpler form as www. google.com but in the operating system, it is written in IP address as (18.104.22.168). Your computer has something when you use the DNS system to take a local backup. Computer use HOSTS files. Here are some methods from which you can easily disable access from unwanted websites.
- Make sure you have an administrator account. Log in to your administrator account on your computer
- Go to the host file in the window and go to the file:///C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/
- Select the notepad from the following. Click ok. The last two lines of your host file should read “#127.0.0.1 localhost” and “#::1localhost”
In case you can’t edit the file, you will have to right-click files with the host label. And go to the administrator app and click edit in the security tab
Click apply in the pop-ups and confirm it by clicking ok.
- Now, you can block as many websites as you want to by editing here.
But, you can add only one line per.
- You can delete multiple websites by repeating this process. Until you want
- After, clicking saves you just need to reboot your computer. To update these all in the operating system. Here, you have blocked unwanted websites on your own.
How to Block a Website in a Network Router.
If you have your own wifi setup. It will be very helpful for you. To understand this, it is very easy but some routers are not user friendly. It might be a little daunting.
This step varies for every router but you can access it. Because the basic step is similar for every.
You get stuck, anywhere, you can call your ISP right away. Let us get started with the process.
- To start this one, you have to get access to your router. Login to the id or password in any browser and type 192.168.1.1 click enter. It may vary for different routers. I have applied in the airtel router. You can ask isp to check-in documentation. It is provided.
- The very next step is you have to enter your username and password. Manually when logging in. if you don’t have the right username with the password you can check documents or ask ISP.
- Here, you go you can block websites under access management>> filter.
- Here is a drop-down menu, you will get a filter option. Above this, you will check a drop-down button and click on active. You will get two options to click yes and save. Here you have blocked the website at your wifi connection.
- You can create a numerous number of websites i.e. 16 or vary differently.
If this method does not suit you. You can find this step useful. As you can get blocking option under a “security”, “parental control” and “firewall”
You can go with any of these numerously. The method suits you
I hope, this article is helpful for you and if you have any other method to block a website. Feel free to share with us in the comment section.