The users of Windows experience a common error PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. Usually, this error occurs when Windows is unable to find the file in the memory which expects it to be found. Moreover, there could be several reasons for this error including software such as driver errors, program updates, and errors in the RAM as well as hardware problems. If the error gets typical, then this will result in BSOD(Blue screen of death). The blue screen in Windows is one of the most dreaded system errors and is also called “Windows Stopcode”. You usually see a blue screen with a sad smiley face that shows the error “Page Fault in Nonpaged Area”.
This seems to be difficult for users to troubleshoot. But it is not impossible. You can try to fix this issue by yourself using the different methods given below:
Method 1: Undo recent changes
First of all, you can remove the recently installed application or recently connected device from your PC because sometimes the software applications and hardware inputs create the error Page Fault in Non paged Area.
This method can help you to eliminate the error if the reason behind the error is recently added software or connected hardware device. Otherwise, you can follow the other methods to sort the error Page Fault in the Non-Paged Area using safe mode.
Read more: How To Start Windows 10 In Safe Mode?
Method 2: Test the RAM
You can check the working of the RAM of your computer by using the Windows RAM Diagnosis tool. The Windows tool is an automatic memory diagnosis used to find the defects in the working memory. It is possible that the RAM is not working properly or the slot is dusty, or the RAM stick is damaged when the PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA error is displayed on the computer. So, I suggest you check the RAM’s working once which may resolve this error.
Steps to Diagnosis RAM using windows inbuilt tool
- You can simply enter the CMD command “mdsched.exe” in the search box after pressing the Windows+S keyboard.
- The “Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool” process takes around 30 minutes and scans the RAM for memory problems”.
- After a restart of the computer, the results will be shown by Windows.
If the RAM is defective, then there are chances to be repaired. In this case, you must have to replace the RAM module
Follow the given steps to check RAM is clean or not
- Firstly, Turn off the computer completely and remove the side panel.
- Remove the battery and unplug all power Connections of your PC.
- Remove the RAM chip and check for dust, If it is dusty then you can soft brush to remove the dust. If not then replace it with a new RAM.
- Re-plug the RAM stick and restart the computer to check whether the PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA error is shown or not.
Method 3: Test the hard disk
A defect in the file system of your drives can also lead to a blue screen so you can use the Windows Snap-in tool to check and fix errors on the disk. The steps are as follows:
- Enter the “cmd” in the window search to start the command line as an administrator.
- Type chkdsk C: /f /r. (C is the drive letter where you store your operating system.) and press enter. After that, you can restart your computer to check whether the PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA error has been fixed or not.
Note: If the message “Chkdsk cannot run” is shown, means the volume is in use by another process. Type Y on the keyboard, if you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time when the system restarts.
Method 4: Update Device Drivers
It is possible to encounter PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA error when the driver is outdated or the driver is incompatible with the operating system of your computer. Thus, non-updated drivers can also cause the system to crash, and then you can choose to update the driver or uninstall the device.
How can you update or uninstall the driver of the device?
The steps to check the status of driver by using “device manager” are given below:
- To open the device manager, type “device manager” into the Windows search line.
- Right-click the disk Device, and click on Disk Drives, then you can choose any option between the Update driver or Uninstall device.
Another way to check Driver updates
- To check for driver problems you can also use a built-in Windows tool.
- To enter the command “perform /report”, open the command line as an administrator.
You receive a report on errors in your system after a minute, which includes driver problems. With this report, you will find the information regarding driver updates and you can easily update them by following the above steps.
Once you have performed the given instructions, reboot your computer to check whether the error is solved or not. If it occurs again, then try the next method.
Method 5: Use SFC and DISM window tool
Two system tools might be able to help when Windows is experiencing blue-screen or other crashes, failing applications, or Windows features aren’t working properly. The System File Checker (SFC) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) are inbuilt Windows tools, which help to scan and repair your Windows system files. If a file has been modified, SFC replaces it automatically with the correct version. To use these tools follow the given steps:
- Open the command prompt with administrator rights.
- Type the command “sfc/scannow” and press Enter. The SFC tool scans the system files and replaces corrupt files with saved, intact copies.
- After that, enter the DISM commands and confirm each command with Enter:
- Once the verification is complete, restart your system.
Method 6: Clean up the Windows update
Once you install updates from Windows Update, Windows keep old versions of system files which allows you to uninstall the updates later. However, if you don’t uninstall any Windows updates, then updated unnecessary apps may consume more space. Therefore, it is safe to clean up all saved update files that are no longer needed as long as your computer is working properly. The steps of window update cleanup are discussed below:
- To open the app, Type “disk cleanup” into the Windows search line.
- Then select a drive from the Given list, which you want to clean and confirm with “OK”. It will help you to remove the corresponding files.
- Restart the system.