How to deactivate messenger? What is the procedure for deactivating or deleting Facebook Messenger? It’s complicated, especially because cancelling your Facebook account does not automatically deactivate or erase Facebook Messenger.
Table of Contents
How to Deactivate Messenger if You Are Using It Through a Facebook Account?
Even if you deactivate your account, it still exists. Even after you deactivate your account, Facebook keeps all of your settings, photos, and information in case you want to use it again in the future. The information is still there. It’s just hidden. But you can permanently delete your account and never get it back. If you decide you don’t want to use Facebook Messenger through your account anymore, it’s easy to turn it off. All of your Facebook information is hidden when you turn off your account. No one will be able to contact you or see what you’ve posted on Facebook.
Now we’ll show you as how to turn off Messenger. It’s easy to turn off Messenger. If your Messenger account is linked to your Facebook account, however, you must first cancel your Facebook account.
The steps for deactivating Messenger are the same for both iOS and Android:
- Open Messenger;
- In the top left corner, click on your profile
- Select Account Settings from the menu.
- Make out who is using or managing the current account.
- Select Deactivation and Delete from the drop-down menu;
- Select Deactivate account from the drop-down menu, then touch Continue to account deactivation and follow the on-screen steps.
Keep in mind that disconnecting Messenger will also cancel your Facebook account, as you can’t deactivate the Messenger without also deactivating Facebook.
Let’s see how to deactivate Messenger now that you’ve removed your Facebook Account:
- Open Messenger;
- In the top left corner, click on your profile;
- Select Legal & Policies from the drop-down menu.
- Select Deactivate Messenger and follow the on-screen instructions.
Log in with your username and password to reactivate Facebook Messenger. Because Messenger is independent from Facebook, deactivating your Facebook account will not automatically cancel your Messenger account.
So, what happens if you turn off Messenger? Your profile will not appear in Facebook Messenger’s search results if you deactivate it. Your messages and comments, however, will remain public.
So, what happens to communications after you deactivate Facebook and Messenger? All of your messages, however, will remain visible to others. You can activate the vanish mode by swiping up while in a discussion if you wish the texts to disappear after a particular amount of time.
Is it possible to delete Messenger without also deleting Facebook?
No, if your Messenger account is linked to your Facebook account, you won’t be able to do so.
If you’re using a standalone version of the app that isn’t linked to your Facebook account, you can either deactivate your Messenger account or delete the app by following the steps outlined above.
To remove a Messenger account that isn’t linked to your Facebook account, follow these steps:
- Tap Account Settings;
- Tap your profile image in the top left.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Delete Your Account and Information;
- Tap Submit after entering your password.
Is it possible to turn off Messenger without also turning off Facebook?
If you’re wondering why you can’t deactivate Messenger, it’s probably because you haven’t deactivated your Facebook account yet. You can’t keep your Facebook account while deactivating Messenger on Facebook. The only way to turn off your chat would be to hide your status and disable alerts.
What is the best way to turn off Facebook Messenger?
- In the top left corner, click on your profile image.
- Select Active Status from the menu.
- Toggle your Active Status on or off using the toggle at the top of the screen.
- You’ll be marked as inactive from now on. You may also turn off notifications by going to Notifications and Sounds in the Settings menu.
- Set the status to Do Not Disturb.
How can you get rid of your Messenger account?
Let’s look at how to delete your account now that you’ve understood how to deactivate Messenger. To totally remove your Facebook Messenger account on iPhone or Android, follow these steps:
- Tap Account Settings;
- Tap your profile image in the top left.
- Check out who is managing or using the current account.
- Select Deactivation and Delete from the drop-down menu.
- Tap Continue to account deactivation, then select Delete account and follow the on-screen instructions. Please bear in mind that deleting your Facebook account will also delete all of your Facebook and Messenger material.
You won’t be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content you’ve added to Facebook once the deletion process starts. You can, however, download your photographs and posts before cancelling your account.
Choosing to remove Facebook Messenger is an excellent first step toward safeguarding your online privacy. If you use any other sites, though, it’s worth looking over our social media privacy guidelines to see how else you can protect your online social life and learn about other social media privacy issues.
Alternatives to Facebook Messenger
- The most popular messaging app in the world is WhatsApp. Every month, almost 2 billion people use it. Users can send text, photos, voice, and video messages to their WhatsApp contacts. Because WhatsApp syncs with your phone’s contacts, it’s easier to find other users.
- Brief is a great alternative to Facebook Messenger if you want to talk to coworkers, clients, and partners in a safe and organized way. It has all the things you like about it, but none of the extra stuff. It also has good tools for working as a team.
- Telegram is one of the biggest competitors to Facebook Messenger. It has more than 400 million users. It is safer than Facebook Messenger, so it is a better alternative. It is a cloud-based service for voice chat and text messages. It’s different because it works with all the most popular devices and has free apps that work with them.
- Viber is a messaging app for mobile phones that is used by 300 million people all over the world. Through one-on-one chats, text messages, and video calls, it lets businesses talk to each other and run effective marketing campaigns. There are a number of ways that marketers can make their advertising campaigns work.
- Signal is all about being open to a different way to send messages, and it focuses on privacy in a surprising way. It makes sending messages easy, strong, and safe. This free service lets you send and receive messages on Android, Windows, the iPhone, Mac, and Linux.
- Before Google’s new messaging app, there were Google Hangouts and Duo. Google Allo has features that are typical of messaging apps for mobile phones. Users can chat, share photos, and make photos more personal by adding emojis and doodles. Allo lets you talk to one person or up to 200 people at the same time.
- Skype, which is owned by Microsoft, is best known for its video calling service, but it can also do other things. Even when they aren’t online, Skype users can send each other text, photos, and short video messages. You can also buy Skype Credits to call landlines and cell phones in other countries.
- Slack is a business messaging app that helps people get in touch with each other and find the information they need. Slack changes how people in different organizations talk to each other by getting them to work as a single team. You can use Slack for free, but there are some limits. You can also pay for a plan that has more features.
Why should you uninstall Facebook Messenger?
Is Facebook Messenger a secure platform? Not at all. Facebook Messenger stores your personal information in the same way that Facebook does, and it can persist even if you cancel your Facebook account. Here are a few more reasons to uninstall Facebook Messenger:
- Facebook has a history of big data leaks and breaches, so your information is definitely not safe with them.
- But, Facebook makes money by harvesting user data, and the Cambridge Analytica controversy has sunk the company’s stock price and made people concerned about their privacy; Facebook Messenger is not private.
- There are also a slew of more privacy-focused instant chat programs to choose from.
Q1: Why can’t I turn off Messenger?
Messenger is a service, not an app. You can’t turn off services on your phone. Only by deleting Messenger from your phone will you be able to stop using it. Then, on your phone, uninstall it.
Q2: Is it possible to turn off Messenger without uninstalling it?
There’s no way to turn off Messenger without also turning off your Facebook account. Deactivating your account is not the same as deleting it. You can reinstate your account at any time after it has been deactivated by simply logging in.
Q3: How do I turn off Messenger on my iPhone?
Tap your profile image in the top left corner after opening your chats. Tap Legal and Policies, then Deactivate Messenger from this screen. To complete the process, tap Deactivate.
Q4: How can I tell if my Messenger account has been deactivated?
They haven’t blocked you—they’ve deactivated their account. If you get “This Content Isn’t Available Right Now” (or something similar) instead of their profile photo in Messenger, they haven’t blocked you—they’ve deactivated their account (or it was deleted by Facebook).
Q5: Will deactivating Messenger delete my account?
No, deactivating Messenger will only temporarily disable your account. Your account will still exist, and you can reactivate it at any time by logging back in.
Q: Can I still use Facebook if I deactivate Messenger?
Yes, deactivating Messenger will not deactivate your Facebook account. You can still use Facebook as usual, including sending messages through the Facebook website or app.
Q: How long does it take for Messenger to deactivate?
It can take up to 90 days for Messenger to fully deactivate, but your account will be inaccessible during that time.
Q: Can I deactivate Messenger on my desktop?
No, you can only deactivate Messenger from the mobile app. However, you can access Messenger on your desktop by logging in to your Facebook account and using the Messenger feature from there.