Did you lose important photos from your SD card by accident? Don’t be afraid! Losing pictures on an SD card can be sad, but there are ways to get them back. This article will show you step-by-step how to get your important photos back. Whether you have a Windows PC or a Mac, we can help you. Let’s start by thinking about what we forgot.
SD cards are an important way to take pictures and store them in this digital age. But if you accidentally delete, format, or damage the SD card, you could lose your most important pictures. There are many ways to get your pictures back and start feeling better.
Table of Contents
How to Understand the Loss of Data on SD Cards?
Before you try to fix an SD card, you should know how it loses information. Some of the most common reasons are losing the card by accident, formatting it, getting a virus, having the file system gets damaged, or the card itself breaking. There’s a good chance you can get your pictures back no matter what happened.
Precautions Before Recovery
Before you start the recovery process, you should take a few steps to improve your chances of getting the photos back:
- Don’t use the SD card anymore. Don’t read or write to the SD card anymore so you don’t replace the information you lost.
- You shouldn’t put it in a machine. If you change the card, it might be harder to get your pictures back, so it’s best not to.
- Don’t let the SD card fall out. Don’t drop it and don’t make it too hot or cold.
Method 1: Using Data Recovery Software
Using data recovery software is a good and easy way to get lost files back from an SD card. This is what you should do:
- Download and run a trusted data recovery tool, such as “Recuva” or “PhotoRec.”
- Insert the SD card into the computer’s card reader.
- Start the tool for retrieving lost data and set the SD card as the target drive.
- Start the reading process, and then wait for the software to look at the card.
- When the search is over, you can look at the pictures that were found and decide which ones you want to get back.
- Choose a safe place on your computer or a USB drive to keep the pictures you’ve found.
- Don’t save them back to the SD card so you don’t lose any information.
Method 2: Use the Windows Command Prompt
Windows users can also use the Command Prompt to get stuff from an SD card. This is what you should do:
- You can connect the SD card to your computer.
- To open the Command Prompt, look for “cmd” in the Start menu.
- Type “chkdsk X: /f” and then press the Enter key. Change “X” to the drive name where your SD card is.
- Wait until everything is done. It will try to fix any problems with the SD card’s virtual file system.
- After the process is done, go to the SD card using File Explorer to see if your pictures are still there.
Method 3: By Using Terminal on a Mac
People with a Mac who want to get pictures off of an SD card can use the Terminal. This is what you should do:
- The SD card should be put on the computer.
- To start Terminal, you need to go to Applications > Utilities.
- Hit Enter after typing “diskutil list” to see the SD card’s disk number, such as “disk2.”
- Type “diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN” and press Enter. “N” is the number of the disk.
- Next, type “sudo dd if=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m | pv | dd of=/path/to/save/image.dmg” (replace N with the number of the disk and “/path/to/save/” with where you want to save the file).
- Wait until the process is finished so that an SD card picture file can be made.
- You can get to your photos by mounting the picture file you made.
Method 4: Seeking Professional Help
Talk to a professional data recovery service if none of the above methods work or if you don’t feel safe trying to get the data back yourself. They have the right tools and know-how to get data back from SD cards that have been severely damaged or hacked.
Tips to Prevent Data Loss in the Future
If you don’t want to lose pictures from an SD card in the future, you might want to:
- Save copies of your photos regularly on more than one computer or in the cloud.
- Use “Safely Remove Hardware” to take an SD card out of your computer or camera.
- Protect from physical damage. Be careful with your SD cards and put them in a case when you’re not using them.
- Software update. For the best accuracy and speed, keep the settings on both your camera and your SD card up to date.
Losing pictures from an SD card can be upsetting, but if you follow the right steps, you can often get them back. Remember to stop using the SD card right away, choose a way to recover that works with your operating system, and take steps to keep from losing more data. By following the steps, you can make it more likely that you can get your precious memories back. To read more content like this, visit https://www.trendblog.net.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I formatted an SD card, can I get the pictures back?
Yes, you can still use data recovery tools to get pictures off of an SD card that has been deleted. Don’t use the card, and use this knowledge to figure out how to get it back.
If my SD card is broken, what should I do?
The best thing to do if there is real damage is to call a data recovery service for help. They have tools that help them get data out of storage devices that have stopped working.
Is it possible to get deleted photos back from an SD card on a Mac?
Yes, you can use a Mac’s Terminal to get back pictures you took from an SD card and then removed. The instructions are in Method 3.
If my SD card got wet, can I still get my pictures back?
If water got into your SD card and broke it, take it out of the device right away and let it dry completely. Once you’re dry, you can try the things in this article to feel better.
Should I put the photos I just took back on the SD card I just used?
It’s best to save the fixed photos somewhere else, like the hard drive of your computer or an external storage device, so that you don’t lose the data on the SD card.